The IRS And Your Civil Rights

Michael Lodge – listen to my podcast

The IRS says they will not tolerate civil rights violations.  You have the right, if you feel you have been attacked by the IRS, employee or volunteer of the IRS on your civil rights, you have the right to file a complaint.  We will discuss Civil forfeitures in another blog, but know what your civil rights are when dealing with the IRS.  Consult an attorney if you feel your rights have been taken away from you.  You do have civil rights as well as a taxpayer bill of rights that protect you.

The Internal Revenue Service does not tolerate discrimination by its employees against anyone because of age, color, disability, race, reprisal, national origin, English proficiency, religion, sex, sexual orientation or status as a parent.

This no-tolerance stance also applies to anyone who volunteers or works with taxpayers as part of any federally assisted program or any federally conducted program. This includes any interaction with IRS employees or activities sponsored by the IRS or one of these community assistance centers:

  • Low Income Tax Clinics
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or
  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly sites

If requested by a taxpayer, IRS employees and staff/volunteers at one of the assisted program sites will provide reasonable accommodation or language assistance.

Taxpayer Civil Rights Publications

The following publications help explain and reinforce the IRS commitment to protecting taxpayer civil rights:

Filing a Complaint

The IRS Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Civil Rights Division is tasked with upholding and protecting the civil rights of all taxpayers, including individuals with disabilities or limited English proficiency. If you have experienced discrimination by an IRS employee in IRS conducted programs or by staff/volunteer at one of the assisted program sites, please send a written complaint (PDF) to:


Director, IRS Civil Rights Division
Room 2413
1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20224


For all other inquiries concerning taxpayer civil rights, contact us at the mailing address or send an e-mail to